CHEC Events :: 2014/15 CHEC Independent School
2014/15 CHEC Independent School
What is the CHEC Independent School?
The CHEC Independent School is a private school in which students are taught at home by their parents. It was established to assist families in their God-given role of directing the education of their children. We offer enrollment in the CHEC Independent School by family (not per student) at a yearly fee. This enrollment covers your application fee, holding assessment results, and free year-round support from our staff. Parents are responsible for the education of their children.
What the CHEC Independent School is not:
- an enrichment program
- a co-op
- a membership in the wider ministry of Christian Home Educators of Colorado (CHEC is donation, not membership, based)
The CHEC Independent School accepts applications from all students. In the event of truancy, suspension, parents with disputed educational authority, etc. the application may need to be reviewed by our Executive Director.
Q: What is the fee to enroll?
A: The fee is $50 through August 31, 2014. The fee will increase to $60 after August 31, 2014. The fee is per family, not per student.
Q: Does CHEC provide curriculum?
A: Parents are free to select and use the curriculum of their choice. Curriculum is not included in the $60 fee.
Q: Where do I purchase curriculum?
A: CHEC offers curriculum kits by grade and a variety of other options. Most curriculum suppliers have websites to sell their curriculum.
Q: Do I need to submit a Notice of Intent to the school district?
A: Please do not submit a Notice of Intent as this will require you to comply with Colorado Homeschool law. As a family enrolled in an non-public school (private, parochial or independent school), you are not under the Homeschool law, but rather must follow the policies of the school you are enrolled in. If you intend to join the CHEC Independent School and have already filed a Notice of Intent, you must withdraw your Notice of Intent. You can do this simply by sending a letter to the district where you filed your NOI stating that you are withdrawing it and enrolling your child in the CHEC Independent School.
Q: What are the benefits ?
A: As an enrolled family, you will:
- be keeping your family’s information private from public schools
- have your records confidentially held by the CHEC Independent School
- have access to more assessment options than when following a Notice of Intent
- start immediately—no 14-day waiting period
- be offered a discounted price on God’s World magazine orders through Sept. 30, 2014
- receive a discount code to be applied to an HSLDA membership
- receive a discounted price on student/teacher ID cards
- receive a discounted price on a high school diploma
Additional questions? Contact us at email@example.com
- Because the CHEC Independent School requires assessments every odd calendar year, all enrolled students must be assessed by August 31, 2015.
- An assessment must be submitted when a student’s grade level (automatically calculated by age in this application) reaches 3rd grade. Although we allow for grade level modification, assessments will still be required even when the modified grade level is below 3rd grade.
- Grade level modification will dictate the appropriate assessments that can be used and will be explained in more detail in the enrollment process.
- The term assessment is used to indicate an achievement test from the list below, a professional academic evaluation, or a Parent/Teacher Assessment.
Accepted achievement tests:
- CAT (California Achievement Test)
- Iowa Test of Basic Skills
- TerraNova Comprehensive Test of Basic Skills
- Stanford Achievement Test
- SAT or ACT (College Board Entrance tests)
- PASS (Personalized Achievement Summary System)
- Woodcock-Johnson Achievement Test
- Professional academic evaluation given by a qualified individual (defined as a teacher licensed pursuant of CRS22-33-104.5, article 60.5, a teacher who is employed by an independent or parochial school, a licensed psychologist, or a person with a graduate degree in education). Some qualified evaluators can be found here.
- The Parent/Teacher Assessment is a unique assessment method option exclusively available to students enrolled in the CHEC Independent School. This assessment is a narrative-style evaluation which is to be completed by the parent/teacher of each student. If this form of assessment is used, we recommend printing off a copy to take notes during the student’s school year. The Parent/Teacher Assessment can be found here.